Self-Managing Your NDIS Plan
We’ve previously discussed what exactly the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is, and have shared stories of participants of the NDIS. We’re big believers of being resourceful and helpful to people using our services and those wanting to know more.
The video below explains how to self-manage your NDIS plan, and provides helpful tips and advice.
Self-managing your NDIS plan gives you choice and control over the supports and services you purchase to help you achieve your goals.
This means that you, a family member or a trusted person will have complete control over your funds – including paying your supports and service providers.
The video explains what you need to do in order to self-manage your plan.
If you choose to self-manage you will have:
- The ability to choose any provider or support that will help you to meet your plan goals. The providers do not need to be registered with the NDIS.
- The capacity to be innovative and flexible when purchasing services and supports to best meet your needs.
- You will be responsible for making sure the services and support you purchase are reasonable and necessary and help you to achieve your NDIS plan goals. You will also need to manage your budget, so you can purchase the supports you need for the duration of your plan.
As a self-managed participant, you will be in control of:
- Selecting and arranging your service providers and support.
- Requesting invoices and receipts for services.
- Processing Payment Requests for the services through the NDIS Participant Portal myplace
- And then paying your service providers.
NDIS will want to hear about how you have achieved your plan goals using the support and services you have purchased. You will need to keep receipts and maintain records of services and supports used.
As a self-managed participant, you will have flexibility to use your allocated NDIS budget to purchase services that help you to self-manage your funds and supports.
If you would like to self-manage but are unsure whether you are ready to self-manage all aspects of your NDIS budget, don’t worry.
Talk to NDIS about what supports are available to help you develop the skills that you need.
This could include a Support Coordinator who can help to get you started, a Plan Manager to help you manage your funds or a Local Area Coordinator or Early Childhood Partner who can help you find services and supports.
Here are some questions that can help you work out if you are ready to self-manage:
- Do you pay your bills on time?
- Can you review a bank statement and see if there is anything that you have not authorised?
- Can you keep and organise receipts, bank statements and other paperwork?
- Can you be firm with someone if you don’t like what they are doing to support you?
- Do you understand which skills you do and don’t have when it comes to filling out forms or handling money, and do you know who to ask for help?
- If you want to hire your own staff directly, do you know what the laws are about hiring your own staff?
- If you answered yes to all of these questions, then you are ready to consider self-managing part, or all, of your NDIS Budget.
Learn more about ConnectAbillity services
ConnectAbility Australia believes every person is entitled to the best life possible. We treat each person as an individual and understand and acknowledge that you come to us with a history and a desired future. ConnectAbility welcomes all people whatever your dreams, aspirations and goals might be.
We want participants to enjoy a brighter and more enjoyable environment.
Contact us if you’d like to know more about our services.