At Jesmond Neighbourhood Centre, we have two experienced, professional counsellors available to see young people aged 9-18 years and their family members. Our counsellors will work with you or your children to identify the issues that are causing distress or disharmony and we will work with you on developing solutions to improve your life. Our counsellors also run parenting skills programs and groups for adolescents to build life skills.
Adolescent and Family Counsellors provide individual and relationship counselling. They are here to listen and confidentially support young people and their families to achieve positive change by:
- Providing a safe place to talk about issues and feelings.
- Providing strategies to cope with family relationship issues.
- Linking families/individuals to resources within their community.
- Promoting and supporting the family as a functional unit wherever possible which may include positive parenting skills development.
- Providing a preventative service before major problems develop.
- Advocacy on behalf of adolescents.
- Promoting emotional growth, independence and client self-determination.
- Fostering healthy relationships between young people and their families leading to the young person staying in the family home or being restored to the family home if appropriate.
- We are available to see young people within school hours or after school hours.
We support people with a wide range of issues including:
- Conflict at home
- Personal issues
- Problems at school
- Challenging/at risk behaviours
- Drug/Alcohol related problems
- Mental health issues
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexuality issues
- Out of home care