Top 10 FAQs about Supported Independent Living


When you are looking for a supported independent living home, there are often many questions you may look to ask. These are the top questions prospective clients, and their families ask when they are looking to move into a SIL property.

1. What is Supported Independent Living?

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is one of the NDIS packages that people with a disability or high needs can access to live independently or with a group of people. SIL has the option of either living alone, or with other people with a disability, where you can receive support every day for tasks, such as cleaning, cooking, and personal care. Prior to the NDIS, you may have known the living options as group homes or disability accommodation, these terms all refer to accommodation that is supported by staff members who may drop in, or are onsite for emergencies, or have someone available 24/7.

Top 10 FAQs about Supported Independent Living | Independent Living

2. Who manages and works in ConnectAbility’s Supported Independent Living?

At ConnectAbility Australia, we employee experienced and trained staff members, all of whom are required to complete our mandatory training, and are experienced in assisting our clients with their individual needs.
We can support you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and our services can include;

  • Developing individual program plans that outline goals and aspirations
  • Accessing social and recreational activities
  • Managing and attending appointments
  • Written communication and help with completing forms
  • Hands on assistance in maintaining a household or independence
  • Accommodation and tenancy obligations

3. What are the costs of Supported Independent Living?

SIL is funded for eligible people by the NDIS scheme and the package details can be accessed as follows;

  • NDIS individual package (core supports)
  • NDIS Supported Independent Living (SIL)
  • Government funding (prior to NDIS)
  • Private Insurance
  • Government insurance scheme (example TAC, NIIS)

ConnectAbility Australia can assist you if you are looking to increase your support levels or to determine your eligibly for Supported Independent Living packages and assistance.  Supported independent funding can not be used for things like rent and other day to day living expenses.

Top 10 FAQs about Supported Independent Living | Independent Living

4. How many people could I be living with?

ConnectAbility have a range of home sizes available in a variety of different locations across Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, the Hunter Valley and Central Coast.  Depending on your individual needs, we are committed to matching you to the right home and occupants – our current vacancy listings can be found online.

5. Do I have to move in full-time at first?

Everyone’s individual needs are different. We would discuss your current living situation to determine the best transition status and then provide a smooth process of moving into your new home to ensure you are comfortable with the transition.

Top 10 FAQs about Supported Independent Living | Independent Living

6. What happens if I get sick in Supported Independent Living?

If you become unwell, a support worker will be on rostered on to help support your medical needs at home, and they can take you to any medical appointments that you may require. They are medically trained professionals who are able to assist you with medical concerns and provide recommendations on when further medical treatment is required.

7. Can I still use the services I used before moving?

ConnectAbility can help facilitate with you and your current service providers e.g., doctors to make sure that you are attending as required, and your individual needs and personal goals are being met as per your outlines SIL plan.

Top 10 FAQs about Supported Independent Living | Independent Living

8. Can my friends and family visit?

We strongly encourage you to invite family and friends to visit you in SIL as often as you like. ConnectAbility also has the resources to provide transport to make sure you do not miss out of family and life events such as celebrations, parties and outings.

9. Where can I find shared homes for Supported Independent Living?

ConnectAbility has a range of home in varied locations in Newcastle, Hunter Valley and the Central Coast. Contact our team to find out if there is a home available in your desired location on 02 4962 1000 in Newcastle and 02 4349 3700 on the Central Coast. You can also view our current vacancy listings for SIL online.

Top 10 FAQs about Supported Independent Living | Independent Living

10.  What can I bring to my new home?

All personal possessions that you can be kept in your bedroom are allowed. This includes furniture such as beds, bedside table, photos, TV and other personal possessions.

Any items that are to be kept in common areas, in the lounge room for example, must be discussed with the team to make sure they are suitable for other residents to use and they meet any safety measures.

How do I find out more about Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

We are proud to offer more than just a house. When you join us at ConnectAbility, we encourage you to live the best life, in a healthy and supported environment. Our accommodation and houses ensure that you are comfortable and cared for in a safe place. We design our support packages around your individual requirements and are happy to assist you in finding your next home and assisting with your NDIS eligibility and funds.  Call ConnectAbility on 02 4962 1000 in Newcastle and 02 4349 3700 on the Central Coast for more information.

Property Filter

Property Categories
Skip to content